Saturday, February 13, 2010

Our movie going experience

Jack and Tyla have had an insane obsession about Alvin and the chipmunks lately. So, Matt and I decided to brave a trip to the movies again. We have tried to take Tyla several times in the past, but they weren't always the most positive experiences. But she has grown up quite a bit lately, and Jack will watch chipmunks all day, literally. Quotes every word of the movie. So we thought that it might work. And it would have.

But Jack physically can't sit still. He just can't! It hurts him to not be moving his muscles. We took his blanket and weighted lap pad to help. But, it didn't. He wasn't loud or screaming. He just has to MOVE! So I let him just run in the front of the theater. There wasn't that many people there and I didn't think it would bother them. Maybe that's my fault, I am so used to his running in circles that I just assumed it wasn't a big deal!

WRONG!!

The manager came in and "politely" handed me a card that said I should take my "unruly child out into the lobby and they will gladly give me free passes". When I told her he is autistic and can't sit still, her response to me was "I have a 2 yr old so I understand" REALLY?? Ya, because that's the same. Anyway, she then told me we can all go and get free movie passes and we needed to take our ticket stubs to the counter. WOW!

So out we went. Looks like we aren't going to be able to go to movies anymore. At least not with Jack.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Sad. I say if he's not being loud or disruptive, who cares. I not a very picky person about movies though. Sorry that happened.

Terri Burges Hirning said...

The theatre at Stapley and the 60 (AMC I believe) does monthly "sensory friendly" films for our kiddos. They have lower volume since so many kiddos with sensory issue have auditory issues, they leave the lights on a little, they don't yell at you if there is talking/singing along or kiddos who have to move more. They are always kids movies, mostly the older ones. But, you should check it out. May make the experience better for everyone. Believe me, I TOTALLY know what you are talking about. The first movie I took my little ones to was through Lauren's Institute in their summer hab program and they rented out the whole theatre for just our kiddos. I was too scared otherwise, lol.